SFL Forum
Environmentalism - Printable Version

+- SFL Forum (http://www.sflforums.com)
+-- Forum: Deep Discussions (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+--- Forum: Non-Christian Religion (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+--- Thread: Environmentalism (/showthread.php?tid=8025)

Pages: 1 2

Environmentalism - myotch - 09-22-2014

The late Michael Crichton, anthropologist and author of Jurassic Park, The Andromeda Strain, and other pieces of science fiction that infuses actual science in the content, creator of ER, etc., made the case for Environmentalism as a religion.

It's pretty interesting, and I find some of the challenges facing ecological/climate sciences laid out towards the end of the video still stand true 9 years later.

RE: Environmentalism - myotch - 09-22-2014

[Image: ByFpdluCQAAkd1f.jpg:large]

(I believe you)

Quote:Lovelock sees environmentalism today as a form of what he calls "urban politics". "It's become a religion," he says, "and religions don't worry too much about facts."

James Lovelock was once a climate alarmist. He also developed the Gaia theory of the earth being as a single organism. He is "old school green", and remains a climate scientist at 94 years..

RE: Environmentalism - rsc2a - 09-22-2014

We can roll this into your global warming thread if you want, but have you seen the excellent speech by Crichton on how aliens led to the politicizing of global warming?

Beautifully fascinating. It belongs here, as Crichton explains, belief in aliens is religious belief. Fascinating stuff about the Drake equation. I look forward to reading the rest - just had to break and comment on it.

He just has a way of communicating - compelling.

Quote:The fact that the Drake equation was not greeted with screams of outrage-similar to the screams of outrage that greet each Creationist new claim, for example-meant that now there was a crack in the door, a loosening of the definition of what constituted legitimate scientific procedure. And soon enough, pernicious garbage began to squeeze through the cracks.
------

Quote:This is not the way science is done, it is the way products are sold.

WOW. (this was not a global warming reference, but the publicity rollout related to nuclear war effect studies - by a familiar and celebrated name. But it does go to establish a pattern of how junk science gets popular support).

Quote:Let's be clear: the work of science has nothing whatever to do with consensus. Consensus is the business of politics. Science, on the contrary, requires only one investigator who happens to be right, which means that he or she has results that are verifiable by reference to the real world. In science consensus is irrelevant. What is relevant is reproducible results. The greatest scientists in history are great precisely because they broke with the consensus.
There is no such thing as consensus science. If it's consensus, it isn't science. If it's science, it isn't consensus. Period.

Transitioning out of the nuclear studies, not quite at climate change, but the reference to GW here is undeniable, and right on. Science is not a democratic exercise.

Quote:Finally, I would remind you to notice where the claim of consensus is invoked. Consensus is invoked only in situations where the science is not solid enough. Nobody says the consensus of
scientists agrees that E=mc2. Nobody says the consensus is that the sun is 93 million miles away. It would never occur to anyone to speak that way.

Just. Damn.

RE: Environmentalism - captain_solo - 09-23-2014

He wrote a novel called "State of Fear" about environmental extremists doing eco-terrorism to promote their cause/destroy humanity so the planet could heal or something like that.

The guy was brilliant, and he did love a good cautionary tale.

RE: Environmentalism - WalrusWrangler - 09-23-2014

I love his books. State of Fear was an enjoyable read. It was a little preachy sometimes, but it didn't affect the plot's intrigue too much.

RE: Environmentalism - Fyre - 09-23-2014

Anything you're overly fervent and blindly dogmatic can be a religion. Like politics.

I think I could fairly say anti environmentalism is equally a religion.

RE: Environmentalism - myotch - 09-23-2014

Maybe, in the way agnosticism is a religion.

There is a clear difference between environmental sciences - climatology, ecology - and environmentalism. One set denotes a field of study, the other denotes a set of subjective beliefs.

There may be environmentalists. They believe in environmentalism. Ecologists, however, do not believe in ecolism, nor are climatologists adherents to climatism.

RE: Environmentalism - rsc2a - 09-23-2014

I can also only point to a bare handful of people who I would say are anti-environmentalists. The majority appear to be agno-environmentalists.