SFL Forum
Runners Unite! - Printable Version

+- SFL Forum (http://www.sflforums.com)
+-- Forum: General (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Inane Chat (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Runners Unite! (/showthread.php?tid=7942)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Runners Unite! - Waldo L - 10-14-2014

I am currently training for my first 5K! I'm excited about actually aiming for a physical achievement. I'm a shrimpy guy, and I'm not used to disciplined practice.

Runners Unite! - MyKneesAreShowing - 10-14-2014

(10-14-2014, 01:38 PM)Waldo L Wrote: I am currently training for my first 5K! I'm excited about actually aiming for a physical achievement. I'm a shrimpy guy, and I'm not used to disciplined practice.

Congrats!!! Finishing your first race is SUCH an adrenaline rush. You'll be hooked. Smile Bonus: shrimpy guys tend to have the advantage over bigger guys. The local winners at races here are always pretty small. Wink

Runners Unite! - MyKneesAreShowing - 10-18-2014

I ran my race today, in the rain no less, and I met my A goal and improved my half marathon time by 10 minutes! Very happy.

RE: Runners Unite! - bean - 10-18-2014

Woo Hoo!!!

RE: Runners Unite! - Don - 10-19-2014

I won't call myself a runner but I've done (2) two 5ks this year so far and I'm signed up for three more.
No, I can't run a mile without stopping yet but each time I run, I can go a little farther and a little faster before running out of gas. I just do intervals. I'm not burning up the course either but I'm finishing. (no small feat for someone who hadn't ran in 22 years.) The journey is the focus not the destination. I'm getting stronger, and healthier so that my endurance, and stamina are increasing. I may never do a marathon but I am doing a Spartan Sprint in Charlotte, NC on April 12th, 2015. I have 25 weeks to train and get my upper body in shape in order to do that run.

I'm flirting with maybe doing one of those mini triathlons next year sometime.

It's been a journey these past 25 months but I'm getting there. One step at a time, one run at a time, one inch at a time.

Runners Unite! - MyKneesAreShowing - 10-20-2014

(10-20-2014, 06:13 AM)Lady Semp Wrote:
(09-02-2014, 11:27 AM)co_heir Wrote: I was a sprinter through high school and college, then for a couple years after graduation. I have run off and on through the years, although it's been more off the last twenty. I've started on the Couch to 5K program and hopefully I can get back to running on a regular basis.

Several months ago I started the C25K and after week five or so a lot of events happened that affected my ability to workout. Now that life has pretty much settled down I have a hard time getting the last two weeks. It's all mental and I have no idea how to get past it.

Is that the part of the plan that jumps to 20 minutes of running? If so, I'll tell you what helped me - take it easy, go slowly, and distract yourself with music. If you can settle into a comfortable rhythm it won't be too bad.

Runners Unite! - MyKneesAreShowing - 10-20-2014

Just focus on time! I've been running for a couple of years and still spend the big chunk of my running time over a 10 min mile. That bothered me at first too. Just rock out your 15 min mile time for 22 min. You can do it.

RE: Runners Unite! - WalrusWrangler - 10-20-2014

I've only been able to run with my run club twice a week due to a change in scheduling. I need to start running more often, but I have difficulty motivating myself when I'm not with people. The biggest problem is waking up early. If I could wake up an hour early I could run before work, but I'm bad at waking up. I can't normally run after work for the same scheduling issues that I can't go to run club after work some days. I'm in the process of disciplining myself to get going earlier, though.

Runners Unite! - MyKneesAreShowing - 11-25-2014

(11-25-2014, 07:41 PM)Lady Semp Wrote:
(10-20-2014, 10:45 AM)MyKneesAreShowing Wrote: Just focus on time! I've been running for a couple of years and still spend the big chunk of my running time over a 10 min mile. That bothered me at first too. Just rock out your 15 min mile time for 22 min. You can do it.

MKAS, I have gotten back onto the treadmill. Yesterday I started with three minutes of warm up, ran for 32 minutes, and then did five minutes of cool down. I impressed myself. Sunday we had good weather and I ran on the local trail. I managed roughly a 12-minute mile. When I run on the treadmill I seldom go over 4.5 so I was surprised that I went so fast.

I am also committed to run a 5K next summer. I really need to get cracking on this training.

YEAH!!! Way to go Lady Semp!! You should have no problem running a 5k this summer. You could probably do one now.

RE: Runners Unite! - Don - 11-28-2014

Finished the Turkey Strut 5k yesterday (Thanksgiving) morning.
Time: 40:44
Pace: 13:07
No one on the Olympic team need be concerned but I am improving and getting stronger with each one I complete.
Preparing for the YMCA Mistletoe Half Marathon, 5K and Fun Run (I'm only doing the 5K), next Saturday, December 6th.