SFL Forum
Runners Unite! - Printable Version

+- SFL Forum (http://www.sflforums.com)
+-- Forum: General (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Inane Chat (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Runners Unite! (/showthread.php?tid=7942)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Runners Unite! - Lady Julian - 09-05-2014

(09-05-2014, 06:53 AM)bean Wrote: I must have had you mixed up with someone else Smile I read too quickly. 2:16 is perfect! Lady Julian has a 1:41. She would be the one whooping up on us hahaha! Except there is no such thing in running. Everybody wins.

When I get back from any race, my kids in school always ask: Did you win? What place did you get?
Then i have to explain to them that despite finishing mid pack out of thousands, I still won. Because I got out and did it, I won....

Yes, this. Especially when there are thousands of runners, there's no way that I'm actually going to be the very first person across the finish line, too many 20- and 30-something guys running. But the sense of accomplishment in finishing well is the real win.

For what it's worth: One of my cousin's cousins recently picked up running and did his first half. He's 25, 26, 27 - something like that. He ran it in about 1.25 and didn't think it was all that fast. I was all agape - 1.25 is *blazing*.

Anyhow: I promise to wait patiently for you all at the finish line if we meet up? Turns out there's a half marathon in Fargo in October. Then of course there's a full / half in Madison, WI in early November. That was my first half, and I really loved it. Been thinking about doing it again this year. Bean, to answer your question: I've only done two halves and one full at this point (I've been running for about three years). I would *love* to do another full, but I also really love the half: It's long enough to be really demanding; short enough that training doesn't take over my life. Half-marathons are great races.

Runners Unite! - MyKneesAreShowing - 09-05-2014

Awe Bean my kids always ask if I won or got a medal after my races, too. This year I've actually won some age groups (SMALL local races) and my kids have been super excited about that.

Lady Julian- only running for 3 years and down to a 1:41 half? Wowsers! I agree with you re: halfs. It's a challenging distance but the training doesn't quite take over my life. One of my favorite distances, actually.

RE: Runners Unite! - captain_solo - 09-06-2014

I keep seeing the title of this thread as "Runners Untie"

Runners Unite! - MyKneesAreShowing - 09-06-2014

(09-06-2014, 12:18 PM)captain_solo Wrote: I keep seeing the title of this thread as "Runners Untie"

Untie what? Wait, never mind I don't want to know.

RE: Runners Unite! - notdrinkingthekoolaid - 09-08-2014

I'm not a runner, but Mr. NDTK has taken up the hobby/sport in the last year. He's planning to run the St. Jude Half Marathon in December. He is also collecting donations for St. Jude. If anyone is interested in donating, I can send a link.

(If you aren't familiar...St. Jude is a well known children's research hospital that specializes in childhood cancers. They do amazing work and don't charge families for their services. They are saving lives and making a difference for an awful disease.)

RE: Runners Unite! - WalrusWrangler - 09-23-2014

I ran a 5K last weekend. I didn't really pay attention to time at all because it was such a crowded race that sometimes I couldn't run even when I wanted, but it went pretty well. I was energetic throughout, and the time passed really quickly. I honestly felt better in this race than I do in a normal run. Being around people and having the music and decor does wonders for morale. I'm looking for another to sign up for soon.

Shin splints have been killing me lately, though. I took a month or so off running due to allergies, but when I got back, shin splints. So many shin splints. I'm trying some exercises to help with them. I'm also gonna finally take the plunge for some new shoes soon.

Runners Unite! - MyKneesAreShowing - 09-23-2014

(09-23-2014, 10:37 AM)WalrusWrangler Wrote: I ran a 5K last weekend. I didn't really pay attention to time at all because it was such a crowded race that sometimes I couldn't run even when I wanted, but it went pretty well. I was energetic throughout, and the time passed really quickly. I honestly felt better in this race than I do in a normal run. Being around people and having the music and decor does wonders for morale. I'm looking for another to sign up for soon.

Shin splints have been killing me lately, though. I took a month or so off running due to allergies, but when I got back, shin splints. So many shin splints. I'm trying some exercises to help with them. I'm also gonna finally take the plunge for some new shoes soon.

Races have that effect on me, too. Love them! Congrats on your race, and sorry to hear about your shin splints. Those can be a bear to deal with. Sad

Runners Unite! - MyKneesAreShowing - 10-08-2014

Ahhhh it's taper time and less running is already driving me nuts! Although not being out in the rain is nice. This round of training went well, despite a sprained ankle halfway through. I'm definitely faster now.

Is anyone else training for a race?

RE: Runners Unite! - WalrusWrangler - 10-08-2014

Most of the races between now and March or so are impractical for me. I'm hoping to get back into the race as soon as possible, though.

I went to Fleet Feet and got fitted for running shoes last week. I got an awesome pair of Saucony's. I ran yesterday, and no shin splints! I had the best run I've had in a long time.

Runners Unite! - MyKneesAreShowing - 10-08-2014

(10-08-2014, 02:57 PM)WalrusWrangler Wrote: Most of the races between now and March or so are impractical for me. I'm hoping to get back into the race as soon as possible, though.

I went to Fleet Feet and got fitted for running shoes last week. I got an awesome pair of Saucony's. I ran yesterday, and no shin splints! I had the best run I've had in a long time.

That's awesome! The right shoes make a world of difference.