SFL Forum
Runners Unite! - Printable Version

+- SFL Forum (http://www.sflforums.com)
+-- Forum: General (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Inane Chat (http://www.sflforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Runners Unite! (/showthread.php?tid=7942)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Runners Unite! - MyKneesAreShowing - 01-30-2017

(01-27-2017, 01:42 PM)The Inimitable Lady Semp Wrote: Okay, my running friends ... who here has raced a half?

The other day for fun and giggles I ran almost a half, and the protein drink I brought with me was sufficient. What works for you? Do you carry anything with you to eat (gels, protein bars, grapes) or drink? Are those belts more helpful to carry your supplies or are they annoying?

I always track my runs on my phone, and my phone didn't die on me when I ran 18+K the other day. Should I keep one of those lipstick-type chargers with me just in case my phone decides to wonk on me?

I've run 11 of them. One of my favorite distances. Yes I'd recommend carrying a small auxiliary charger with you if you're going to use your phone for GPS. I carry GU packets and take one every 3-4 miles, but I had to experiment for awhile to figure out what worked for me. On a long run (8 miles or more) I take GU, my phone (for music and safety) and water. Sometimes I use a belt for my phone and stash my gu in the pocket of my water bottle. (I recommend getting one of those handheld water bottles with a pocket btw. I have a 20oz and 10oz from Nathan and they're awesome)

Good luck!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Runners Unite! - The Inimitable Lady Semp - 01-31-2017

(01-30-2017, 09:46 PM)MyKneesAreShowing Wrote:
(01-27-2017, 01:42 PM)The Inimitable Lady Semp Wrote: Okay, my running friends ... who here has raced a half?

The other day for fun and giggles I ran almost a half, and the protein drink I brought with me was sufficient.  What works for you? Do you carry anything with you to eat (gels, protein bars, grapes) or drink? Are those belts more helpful to carry your supplies or are they annoying?

I always track my runs on my phone, and my phone didn't die on me when I ran 18+K the other day. Should I keep one of those lipstick-type chargers with me just in case my phone decides to wonk on me?

I've run 11 of them. One of my favorite distances. Yes I'd recommend carrying a small auxiliary charger with you if you're going to use your phone for GPS. I carry GU packets and take one every 3-4 miles, but I had to experiment for awhile to figure out what worked for me. On a long run (8 miles or more) I take GU, my phone (for music and safety) and water. Sometimes I use a belt for my phone and stash my gu in the pocket of my water bottle. (I recommend getting one of those handheld water bottles with a pocket btw. I have a 20oz and 10oz from Nathan and they're awesome)

Good luck!!!!!

Thanks!

RE: Runners Unite! - The Inimitable Lady Semp - 02-28-2017

Anybody here use sports watches? I'm thinking of getting one and looking for some input. Sometimes my app crashes or my phone wonks on me so I'd like to have a backup source of stats for my runs.

RE: Runners Unite! - WalrusWrangler - 02-28-2017

(02-28-2017, 10:53 AM)The Inimitable Lady Semp Wrote: Anybody here use sports watches?  I'm thinking of getting one and looking for some input.  Sometimes my app crashes or my phone wonks on me so I'd like to have a backup source of stats for my runs.

I got a discount on a Fitbit HR at work. It's been pretty good for me, though I think it's kinda pricey without a discount. I think retail it costs $150. You can get cheaper Fitbits, though.

RE: Runners Unite! - The Inimitable Lady Semp - 02-28-2017

(02-28-2017, 11:03 AM)WalrusWrangler Wrote:
(02-28-2017, 10:53 AM)The Inimitable Lady Semp Wrote: Anybody here use sports watches?  I'm thinking of getting one and looking for some input.  Sometimes my app crashes or my phone wonks on me so I'd like to have a backup source of stats for my runs.

I got a discount on a Fitbit HR at work. It's been pretty good for me, though I think it's kinda pricey without a discount. I think retail it costs $150. You can get cheaper Fitbits, though.

Thanks, WW.  I had a Fitbit Flex that cost about $90, I think, and it died while under warranty.  Then the replacement wouldn't sync.  I didn't bother dealing with Fitbit again after that because while the rep was nice, it took a very long time to ship a replacement.   I won't buy another one of any sort.  It wasn't accurate anyway, because if I was handmixing cookie dough or scrambling eggs it thought I was moving and recorded that motion as steps.  

I was thinking more along the lines of the Garmin and such.  How good is the GPS, how reliable are the stats, etc.  I'd only use it for running as those babies usually make a terrible fashion statement.

RE: Runners Unite! - leo the lamb - 03-01-2017

I ran today. Less than a mile, but I ran. I'll try to work my way up gradually. My hands and wrists got chilled, and my fingers still aren't particularly warm after a couple of hours.

Runners Unite! - MyKneesAreShowing - 03-03-2017

(02-28-2017, 10:53 AM)The Inimitable Lady Semp Wrote: Anybody here use sports watches? I'm thinking of getting one and looking for some input. Sometimes my app crashes or my phone wonks on me so I'd like to have a backup source of stats for my runs.

I've used a Garmin 220 for the past 3 years and it worked extremely well. I just upgraded to the apple watch and am trying out various running apps. (I NEED specific metrics lol) I highly recommend Garmin for a straight up running watch. Even their basic ones are good.

RE: Runners Unite! - leo the lamb - 08-15-2017

(08-14-2017, 11:42 AM)The Inimitable Lady Semp Wrote: Just wanted to brag about racing a 10K a few weeks ago.  I didn't win the old fart division but I did a personal best.  So that's one goal for 2017 that I accomplished.

I signed up for a half in the fall.  I actually ran most of the course the other day but with some variants and I did pretty well.  First time ever running that distance.

Sweet. I ran recently, after avoiding that level of activity for about a month. I felt great, thinking I could probably push myself past ten miles if'n I'd wanted to, but my hips and feet were crying uncle before I hit five miles and my calves were still recovering two days later.

RE: Runners Unite! - WalrusWrangler - 08-16-2017

I've been going with a group on Saturdays to run. The trail we've been doing is 2.4 miles one way, so almost 5 miles total. I've just been briskly walking it, though. I'm so badly out of shape that running destroys me quickly. I also haven't been going the full distance, but I still hit close to 4 miles. I've been sick with anxiety and other problems lately, too. Once those problems go away I think I'll try running more fully. It would help if I did more during the week I'm sure, but I'm glad to be consistent on Saturdays for now.

RE: Runners Unite! - leo the lamb - 10-28-2018

My calf muscles are pretty tight today. I was camping for a couple nights and decided to test out my minimalist shoes on a trail in the pre-dawn moonlight. I ended up jogging for an hour straight, all uphill. That is, the trail kept climbing, but the average incline was gentle and there were little level stretches along the way. On the steeper bits I slowed to walking speed. Timing myself on the walk back down I found it took me only fifteen minutes longer.